WordPress has a wonderful new plugin called Site Health. It does a great job letting you know what issues need to be repaired in order to have a healthy WordPress install.
One issue I had trouble solving was the message I kept getting saying that “imagick” was not available. I found a few links that addressed the issues with older versions of PHP but none that helped complete the update with the current version (which is 7.3.8 at the time of this posting).
First, I’ll go over what setup I currently have. Then, I’ll explain in detail what I did to successfully get Imagick working.
- Apache/2.4.41 (Unix)
- MySQL 8.0.17 Homebrew
- PHP 7.3.8
Use the following commands to install ImageMagick as requested by WordPress:
brew install imagemagick brew install pkg-config pecl install imagick
If all goes well, you should see something similar to this:
Build process completed successfully Installing '/usr/local/Cellar/php/7.3.8/include/php/ext/imagick/php_imagick_shared.h' Installing '/usr/local/Cellar/php/7.3.8/pecl/20180731/imagick.so' install ok: channel://pecl.php.net/imagick-3.4.4 Extension imagick enabled in php.ini
The last line means that the line
extension="imagick.so" was added to the top of your php.ini file. Take note of the location of “imagick.so” (above on line 3). Unfortunately, I still received an error message:
Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'imagick.so' (tried: /usr/local/lib/php/pecl/20180731/imagick.so (dlopen(/usr/local/lib/php/pecl/20180731/imagick.so, 9): image not found), /usr/local/lib/php/pecl/20180731/imagick.so.so (dlopen(/usr/local/lib/php/pecl/20180731/imagick.so.so, 9): image not found)) in Unknown on line 0
The link I included above (fix for php 7.2) mentions adding an additional *.ini file with this imagick directory listed. However, that did not fix the issue for me. What worked for me was updating the extension location within the php.ini file.
For my install, the php.ini file was here:
Go to that directory:
sudo nano php.ini
Find this line:
Change it to this (copy/paste the imagick.so location from the install confirmation above):
Save your changes and restart everything:
brew services restart --all sudo apachectl restart
Once I completed these steps, the nag message from within Site Health disappeared! ImageMagick was connected and working as it should.
I hope this works for you. If you need further help, feel free to comment below. Thanks!